Active Student are getting ready for Student Volunteering Week 2015 and you can join in
Student Volunteering Week is a national week of celebrating student volunteering and showcasing how much help students can be to their local communities. It’s the 14th year the Week has been running and universities up and down the country are holding taster days, community days, volunteering and careers fairs, all sorts of things to raise the profile of student volunteering.
Here at Brighton, we’ve got a packed schedule for Student Volunteering Week and a bit of a green theme. Events for the week include:
- Skills workshops to help you ‘skill-up’ , turning your skills into application form and interview speak
- Good Deed Day with a random act of kindness across all campus libraries
- Brightening up Carlton Hill Primary School with some colourful mural painting
- Helping Fork and Dig It prepare for the Spring growing season in Stanmer Park
- Reaching out to the local community in Hastings about how to better use White Rock Gardens
- Helping local primary school pupils in Eastbourne develop their school allotment
All these activities will be taking place during Student Volunteering Week (#SVW2015) which is from Monday 23rd February to Friday 27th February.
Getting involved in volunteering is a fab way for you to develop your employability skills as well as giving something back to the local community. Volunteering can literally change lives, such as student volunteers helping older people gain the confidence to leave their house after a fall or helping children excel at reading. As one of our student volunteers said,
“I would recommend volunteering until my lungs give out. You get such a good feeling from doing it.”
To find out more about SVW2015, keep an eye on Studentcentral and the Active Student website, which will have all the booking information for the skills workshops and volunteering activities soon. We’ll also be on social media throughout SVW2015 – look out for #SVW2015 on Twitter and StudentVolWeek on Facebook.