Varsity 2015 is nearly upon us. On Sunday March 21 the University of Sussex and the University of Brighton will slug it out across multiple sporting disciplines.
Last year the event was a huge success on the pitch but off the pitch as well. The excitement and buzz generated from competitors, spectators and reporters helped promote what truly was a great event to be a part of.
University of Sussex took the crown with an 11-6 overall victory – but this year we are hoping Brighton will make amends and bring the trophy back to its rightful place.
Varsity 2014 review
There was a memorable victory for Brighton Tsunami who comfortably disposed of Sussex Saxons 35-0 at the event last year. It is a game that has favoured the Tsunami team; in 2013 the Saxons lost 40-0. The Tsunami’s have yet to concede to their rivals over the two years and they will be aiming to replicate that once again this time around.
John Pride, Rak Dalal and Matt Shaw all converted touchdowns for the Tsunami, as for the Saxons it was a poor day at the office.
The cricket did not go quite as planned for Brighton Panthers. Sussex was by far the dominant team. The Panthers were bowled out for 43 in a game that lasted 40 minutes.
A 42-run partnership from Ward (23) and Berry (12) proved to be decisive and the Panthers could not muster a response as the game was all over after 10-overs.
Varsity 2015 Fixture and Times
So if that has whetted your appetite, head over to the Falmer campus where most of the action will be held and enjoy the sporting spectacle that will be Varsity 2015!
- Mens Cricket – 10am – Hall 2 Sussex Sports Centre
- Trampolining (Mixed)– 10am – Hall 1 Sussex Sports Centre
- Dance (Mixed) – 10am – Dance Studio Sports Centre
- Ultimate Frisbee (Mixed) – 11am – Hall 2 Sports Centre
- Women’s Tennis – 11am – Hard Courts Falmer Sports Centre
- Men’s Tennis – 11am – Hard Courts Falmer Sports Centre
- Men’s Badminton – 12pm – Hall 2 Sussex Sports Centre
- Women’s Badminton – 12pm – Hall 2 Sussex Sports Centre
- Men’s Football – 12pm – Grass Pitch Falmer Sports Centre
- Women’s Hockey – 12pm – Astro Falmer Sports Centre
- Men’s Rugby – 12pm- Grass Pitch Falmer Sports Centre
- Men’s American Football – 1pm – Brighton 3G Brighton Campus
- Women’s Netball – 1.30pm – Hall 1 Sussex Sports Centre
- Women’s Football – 2pm – Grass Pitch Falmer Sports Centre
- Women’s Rugby – 2pm- Grass Pitch Falmer Sports Centre
- Swimming (Mixed) – 2pm- Brighton Campus Eastbourne
- Men’s Volleyball – 3pm – Hall 2 Sussex Sports Centre
- Men’s Basketball – 3.30pm – Hall 1 Sussex Sport Centre
- Women’s Basketball – 5.30pm – Hall 1 Sussex Sport Centre
- Women’s Volleyball – 5.30pm – Hall 2 Sussex Sports Centre